Online Privacy Notice
Effective Date: July 15, 2017
This Online Privacy Notice covers the following topics:
· Opt-Out, Access & Correction
· Opt-Out Choices
Children’s Online Privacy
Links to Other Sites
Website Tracking and Online Behavioral Advertising
Changes to Online Privacy Notice & Questions
I. PERSONAL INFORMATION
A. Collection of Personal Information
“Personal Information” means information that identifies you individually, such as your name, address, email address, phone number, financial account number, Social Security number, or Driver’s License number. It is generally not necessary to provide any Personal Information to use our Web sites or Apps.
In order to access certain features offered through our Web sites or Apps, you may be asked to provide some Personal Information. Most often, you will be asked to voluntarily provide your name, address, phone number, or email address. For example, we will ask for your name and contact information if you use the Web sites to send in a comment or question. If you sign up for one of our prescription refill reminder programs, we will collect your name, phone number or email address, name of the drug you are taking, and the day and time you want us to send the reminder. You may decide to register for certain features or services, in which case you will be asked to create a username and password.
B. Use of Personal Information
If you decide to provide your Personal Information, We will use it in one or more of the following ways:
· To fulfill a request that you have made;
· To respond to a question or comment;
· To provide you with services for which you have signed up;
· To send you additional information about Our products and services;
· In the aggregate to help us evaluate and modify existing services and to help us develop additional services that are likely to be of interest to our users;
· As necessary for the Apps to function properly;
· As necessary to recognize you and allow you to log-on to certain pages and features for which you have registered;
· To respond to legal process; and
· To advertise and market related products and services to you, unless you opt-out of receiving marketing communications.
Email to a Friend. On some Web sites and in some Apps, you can choose to send a link or a message to a friend or colleague referring them to one of our product web sites. E-mail addresses you may provide for a friend will be used to send your friend information on your behalf and will not be collected or used by BI or provided to other third parties for additional purposes.
C. Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your Personal Information in one or more of the following ways:
· BI Affiliates, Subsidiaries and Divisions: We may disclose your Personal Information to Our corporate affiliates, subsidiaries and divisions. Any Personal Information provided to affiliated entities, subsidiaries or divisions will be treated in accordance with this Online Privacy Notice.
· BI Operations and Maintenance Contractors: We may share your Personal Information with third-party contractors as is necessary to respond to your requests for products and information, unless you have opted-out of receiving information. (For more information on how to opt-out, see below.) Third-party contractors may access your Personal Information to send you this information on Our behalf. We also may hire third-party technology providers to host Our Web site and to store your Personal Information.
· Legal Authorities. BI may disclose Personal Information when required by law or legal process, when necessary to protect and defend the rights or property of BI, or when necessary to protect the personal safety of Web site and App users and customers.
· Sale or Transfer of Business: We may provide Personal Information to a third party in connection with the sale, assignment, or other transfer of the business of the Web sites to which the information relates, in which case We will require any such buyer to agree to treat the information collected in accordance with this Online Privacy Notice.
We do not disclose your Personal Information to third parties for purposes of third-party marketing.
D. Personal Information: Opt-Out, Access and Correction
If We use your email address to send you email messages related to a product or service for which you have requested information, or to send you marketing emails with products or services We think you might like, you can always change your mind and ask Us to stop emailing you. You can do so by following the link to “Unsubscribe” from emails. You will be given an option to unsubscribe from all emails from BI, or just a subset.
If We use your phone number to call you or send you a text message in connection with a product or service for which you have signed up, you can change your mind and ask Us not to call you anymore. If you have received a text message from Us, you can unsubscribe by following the instructions within the text message, or by responding with the word “Stop” or “Unsubscribe.”
If We use your mailing address to send you materials and information through the mail that you have requested or that we believe would be of interest, you can change your mind and ask Us to stop sending such materials to you by mail.
If you would like to access your Personal Information, or request that your Personal Information be removed from our database, please contact BI through our U.S. mail address listed below. BI will use reasonable efforts to supply you with this information, to correct any factual inaccuracies that you identify, and to remove your information from our database.
II. NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION
A. Collection of Non-Personal Information
BI also collects Non-Personal Information, which, alone, cannot be used to identify you. Examples of Non-Personal Information include gender, age, survey responses, page views, unique views, what you click on the Web site, average time on the Web site or using Apps, browsers, operating systems, and Internet Protocol (IP) Address.
Internet Protocol Addresses. An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet. This number does not identify your name, e-mail address or other Personal Information.
Non-Personal Information is passively collected, which means that it is collected without you having to do anything, using the following tracking technologies:
“Cookies” are small text files that are placed on your browser, either for the duration of your Web site session (called “session” cookies) or more permanently (called “persistent” cookies). Anonymous identifiers are sometimes used in place of cookies on mobile devices which may not support cookie technology.
Sometimes We work with third parties who also place cookies on your hard drive. Before We enter into arrangements with third parties, however, We require these third parties to enter into an agreement with Us that they will comply with Our Online Privacy Notice.
· Pixel Tags/Web Beacons and Web Logs
Pixel tags, also known as web beacons, function similarly to cookies. A pixel tag is an invisible, one pixel-sized piece of code which transmits certain information to Our servers. They are placed on key pages, tools, and areas of the Web sites and Apps. When a visitor requests/visits/clicks on anything that includes a pixel tag, the information about the visitor’s action is recorded in a web log.
· Web Analytics
B. Use of Non-Personal Information
We will use your Non-Personal Information in one or more of the following ways:
· We use IP Address information to measure site traffic, to help Us to understand how people are using Our Web sites and Apps, and to improve user experience.
· We use information collected in cookies and anonymous identifiers help to recognize repeat visitors, facilitate ongoing access to some Web sites and Apps, and allow Us to understand how and when pages are visited and by how many people.
· We use pixel tags and web beacons to track a visitor’s usage across various web pages on our Web sites or within our Apps. This information allows us to further customize your Web site experience.
· We use pixel tags in our HTML-based emails in order to determine if you opened and replied to or forwarded emails. This information is used in aggregate for research to improve site content and usability and may be used by Us to provide you with additional information.
· We use Web Analytics to track visitor data for the purpose of Web site optimization and to determine which audiences are visiting the Our Web sites or downloading Our Apps.
· We use information collected in cookies from our Web sites to provide you with relevant advertising and product information that may be of interest after you leave our Web site, unless you opt-out.
C. Non-Personal Information: Opt-Out Choices
You do have choices about how your Non-Personal Information is collected through these tracking technologies.
For our Web sites, you may opt to enable a feature on your browser that will erase cookies, block all cookies, or warn you before cookies are stored or exchanged. Please be aware, however, that some parts of the Web sites may no longer function properly if cookies are disabled.
You can disable pixel tags by changing your browser settings to omit images or through commercially available software packages.
Web Analytics Opt-Out Provision: Web Analytics offers an opt-out provision for Web site visitors who do not want their data to be collected.
For more information on opting out of tracking over time and across third party sites, please refer to the “Web site Tracking and Online Behavioral Advertising” section of this Online Privacy Notice, below.
For more information on your choices that are specific to mobile applications, please refer to the “Mobile Apps” section of this Online Privacy Notice, below.
While BI will take reasonable measures to protect the security of the Personal Information and Non-Personal Information collected through the Web sites and Apps, BI cannot guarantee absolute security of the transmission of your information. By visiting the Web sites or Apps or providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Web sites or Apps. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Web sites or sending an email to you. You may have a legal right to receive this notice in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice), please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IV. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
The Web sites and any accompanying services offered are not directed at children who are under 18 years of age. It is BI’s policy to require that individuals requesting information on our products be 18 years of age or older.
Should we receive Personal Information from a person who we know is under 18, we will automatically delete such information from our database. The information will not be used for any purpose. If you believe that a person under 18 has provided us with his or her Personal Information, please notify us so that we can remove the information from our database.
V. LINKS TO OTHER SITES
As a convenience to our visitors and users, BI may offer links to a number of other sites that we believe may offer useful information. When you click on one of these links, you will be transferred from the BI Web site or App and be connected to the site of the organization or company that you selected. The BI Online Privacy Notice is no longer applicable when you leave our site by way of link. Each of these linked sites maintains its own independent privacy policies and procedures, which you should consult before providing any of your Personal Information.
VI. MOBILE APPS
When you download or purchase an App, or make an in-app purchase, you do so through a third party mobile application online store. You may be required to register with the mobile app store and be logged on before you can download or purchase an App or make in-app purchase of another product using the App. When downloading an App, or using an App with Online features through your mobile platform, the app provider will typically also collect certain device and app-related information.
Some Apps may send push notifications, or notices of interest sent out to in the absence of a specific request, to your mobile device. In the event a BI App uses push notifications, you are provided an opportunity to opt into receiving those push notifications. If you decline to accept push notifications, you will not receive push notifications, which means you may not receive the most current updates and features of the Application.
Our Apps generally do not collect precise information about the location of your mobile device, the unique identification number assigned to your device by your operating system (sometimes called a UDID), or your contact list or address book, and do not collect any information on the contacts stored in your mobile device. This information will only be collected if it is necessary for the functioning of the App and will be disclosed to you prior to downloading the App.
You have choices when it comes to how Apps function on your mobile device. You may be able to:
• manage push notifications by using your built-in mobile device settings and controls;
• manage location information by using your built-in mobile device settings and controls;
• manage/restrict in-app purchases by using your built-in mobile device settings and controls;
• block navigation to the web by turning off network access on the device or turning off the browser.
Access to or availability of controls may vary depending on your device.
VII. WEB SITE TRACKING AND ONLINE BEHAVIORAL ADVERTISING
We use Non-Personal Information collected through cookies in order to provide you with relevant advertising and product information of interest after you leave Our Web site. You can opt-out of that tracking by going to the Network Advertising Initiative’s website and opting out of tracking by advertising networks, which may include, but not be limited to Google Doubleclick, AdRoll, and BrightRoll. The NAI’s website can be found here: http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices . Please understand that if you decide to opt out, you will still receive advertising online, but it may not be relevant to your interests or targeted based on your internet browsing activity.
We do not allow third parties to collect Personal Information or Non-Personal Information about your online activities over time and across different sites when you use Our Web sites or Our Apps, and we do not currently respond to browsers’ Do Not Track signals with respect to the Web sites or Our Apps.
VIII. DATA PROCESSING
The information on Web sites and Apps is intended for use by U.S. residents only. Web sites or Apps may contain information about products not available in other countries or regions of the world or that may be available under a different trademark or name. Other countries may have laws, regulatory requirements, and medical practices that differ from those in the United States and may require different or additional information. Therefore, product information on may not be appropriate for residents of other countries. BI transfers Personal Information and Non-Personal Information collected through the Web site or App to the United States for processing.
IX. CHANGES TO ONLINE PRIVACY NOTICE AND QUESTIONS
BI reserves the right to modify, add or remove portions of this Online Privacy Notice at its discretion. If we decide to change this Online Privacy Notice, we will post those changes at this site. Continued use of our sites following any changes in our Online Privacy Notice indicates your consent to the use of newly submitted information in accordance with the amended Online Privacy Notice. If you would like your Personal Information removed following a change to the Online Privacy Notice, or if you have any questions about our Online Privacy Notice, this Web site or its offerings, you may contact us online using our e-mail address: email@example.com or you may write to us via the following address:
Boehringer Ingelheim USA Corporation
P.O. Box 368
900 Ridgebury Road
Ridgefield, CT 06877